The humble beginnings

Withered Papyrus
Photo from Wallbase.cc

The history of writing begins with what has been attributed to the Sumerians. They are credited with its humble beginnings. But the age of writing pales when compared with that of paintings and carvings in caves. Sumerians had begun writing around 3200 BC, but the beginnings are estimated to have happened between 7000 BC and 4000 BC (source: Wikipedia). Contrast that with the fact that some cave paintings of Aborigines in Australia's Northern Territory are said to be dated older than 45,000 years. Papyrus was made around 3000 BC by the Egyptians. And since then various new methods have appeared. I wouldn't use the word 'evolved' because not necessarily the new methods are pleasurable. How can typing on a computer keyboard be even mentioned in the same stroke as writing? Undoubtedly the benefits of this newest form are many but with fewer delights. Auto-correction can't match the act of thinking and re-thinking and writing and re-writing about which word to pen down next on the smooth paper in front of you.


This blog, however, won't be about writing. It will be about books, history and anything even closely related. Over last many years I have accumulated many books. History dominates in that collection, followed by general non-fiction and a few of science. The purpose is to write my own memoirs about everything related to these books - how I bought them, from where I bought them, what really interested me in it and, of course, how did I find the book. Over time, I have realized, I have become semi-addicted to buying books. Every time I pick out a book there are at least half a dozen which are yet unread. It's like a chain - I find some good book in a store, I jot down it's name, read it's reviews and head to the 'similar books' or 'suggestions' section and chance upon newer titles. And this goes on and on. Lot of the books I have bought are expensive as well, though no way in the league of rare books or leather bound hardcover books. Today, when I write this first post, I have around 33 books. And I am so sure I will buy a lot more of them. One of them is of my father and is very old. Rest all of have them I have bought in the last six years. There is a companionship I share with my books. An unwritten and unspoken about connection. I feel at ease and with myself when with them.

The name 'Withered Papyrus' because papyrus is how it began and withered because the older the pages of a book are the more wiser it becomes with time. Just like all of us do intellectually.



Note: A lot of my reviews will draw heavily in terms of quotes, comments, points or interpretations and alike from the book in case. They will be copyrighted by the author of the book, and I do not intend to plagiarize or reproduce them for my own benefit. I would use them, if at all, only for the sake of completion of the review. If you want any such drawn quotes, comments, points or interpretations and alike to be removed or if you think they violate the copyright, I would willingly do so at the earliest. I would always mention the quotes etc. either in single or double quotes or in italics. Most of the graphics used in creating the background, header and other images are from Colorlovers.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment